Ronda and Marina
What is SMA?
* SMA kills more young children than any other inherited disease, is the most common cause of genetic infant mortality, is the #1 genetic killer of young children.
* SMA is degenerative, causing the weakness and wasting of voluntary muscles — eventually impacting crawling, walking, standing, sitting up, coughing, breathing, swallowing, speaking…anything requiring muscle strength.
* SMA is estimated to occur in 1 out of every 6,000 live births. Incidence rates are comparable to the more well known ALS/Lou Gehrig’s disease and Cystic Fibrosis.
* 1 in every 40 people unknowingly carries the SMA causing gene or nearly 8 Million potential parents in the U.S. alone — making it “common.” Both people must be carriers for the disease to be passed on — making it “rare.” There are simple blood or saliva tests available to learn if you are a carrier before you get pregnant. The American College of Medical Genetics recommends ALL couples be tested for SMA.
* SMA is terminal. There is currently no treatment or cure… BUT there is much research work being done around the world and it holds enormous potential. In fact, the National Institutes of Health selected SMA as the disease closest to treatment.
* SMA research is drastically underfunded –> YOU can help!
PLEASE VOTE: It’s really this simple –>
* You can vote once EVERY DAY from now until September 29th at 5 PM EDT
* Go to VoteForSMA.com, select the Gwendolyn Strong Foundation, enter the two security words, check the Official Rules box, and then click “Vote Now!”
* That’s it! It’s really that simple
* Don’t forget to add your name to the DailyVoteReminder.com list so you don’t miss a $20K vote.
* And…don’t stop there — SHARE!